A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

January 14, 2010

California is My Home... Day 3 - 675 words


TUESDAY 9/29/09:  SHOW LOW (AZ) to PEORIA (AZ)

I hoped I'd sleep in, but when I looked at my phone, and it told me it was 4:45am, I decided I'd get up and try to latch onto the free internet connection.  I tried for about 30 minutes, and gave up.  Instead, I worked on downloading pictures from my camera and transferring my journal notes onto my laptop.  It was only a leisurely four-hour ride to Eron and Ann's house, and Eron wasn't gonna be home until after 1pm, so I waited 'til 8:45 to call her and sing "Happy (18th) Birthday" to her, and then hit the road.  The morning chill was leaving by then, and it was obvious to me that it was gonna be a very beautiful day's ride.

Ann had offered me 'free reign' on her refrigerator, so I decided to save my money, and wait to eat when I got there, instead of stopping in Payson as I had thought I would.  Eager and Payson where both still in the mountains, but not quite as high in elevation as Show Low, so it was starting to get hot.

From Payson the road went down into the valley fast.  It was only around 10am, but the temperature had already risen from a pleasant 75 degrees to well over 90, and I was preparing myself… the forecast for the Phoenix basin was for a high of 105.

I hit the outskirts of Scottsdale about 15 miles from town center.  The traffic was stop-and-go from there on.  I'm not sure how or why they were able to come up with their slogan… "The World's Most Livable City."  Yuck.  I sure don't think of that kind of heat and traffic as livable.

When I was about five miles from Ann's house, I finally remembered to look at my odometer.  I calc'd that I might be able to make it without getting gas, but I decided not to risk it.  After all… 'we weren't in Texas anymore Toto', and I had no reason to think I'd have the incredible good fortune I'd experienced there, if I were to run out of gas here in Arizona.

After filling Honey's tank, I realized we woulda been fine on gas… It calc'd out at just over 45 mpg, coming down into the desert from the higher elevation.  I found the key where Ann told me she'd hidden it, and was unpacked and lying on the couch, when Eron came in.  She'd decided she wanted to have a barbeque at 'the lake', instead of floating down 'the river', and said she needed to pick up some supplies and a couple of her friends.  I asked her if I could take a nap while she ran around, and she very graciously agreed.  I felt a little guilty, but I knew I'd be sluggish and not much fun if I didn't rest for a while.

She got back about two hours later, and by 4pm we were at Lake Pleasant having a very… pleasant time (sorry, I couldn't resist the obvious).  Besides her boyfriend Sid, she'd brought along Alec, and we met Nick and DJ there.  The six of us waded in the cool water, and feasted on hamburgers and chips for a couple hours.  The others went their own way, and Sid, Eron, and I went back to Ann's house for cake and ice cream, and then I was a 'good dad' and let her beat me in a game of cribbage.

Around 9pm I was fading, so Eron and Sid took off to hook up with more of their buddies, and I spent a little over an hour with Ann.  Fortunately she was in one of her good moods, so the time was… (I can't resist)… pleasant.  I always appreciate being around Ann when she's in a good mood.  It helps to make up for all the other times.

I did some 'honey dos' and then was fast asleep by 10:30pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment