A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

January 10, 2010

Please Allow Me To Introduce My Selves: DAY 2- 2k words


DAY TWO - Saturday, October 25, 2008

I woke up the next morning, raring to go, at my typical time of around 5am.  I had forgotten to ask them about coffee the night before, so after a little quiet exploration of their kitchen, I decided I'd make a morning ride down the street.  I was excited not to have to put on layers upon layers of clothing, it was a very comfortable 60 degrees or so in the predawn morning, and I showed up for my gas and coffee in shorts, sandals, and a tank top.  The few locals up at that hour looked at me kinda funny, as I walked in the mini mart gas station.  Most of them were wearing heavy coats and jackets.  I think I remember one of them even wearing gloves.

When I got back to the house, I spent some time writing about the previous day, on a website I had recently joined.  It's called the La Selva Beach Baby Boomers Website, and it was created by one of us, who was lucky enough to have been born and/ or raised in La Selva Beach, during the decades of the 50's, 60's, and 70's.  It turned out to be a very good thing for me, that I had made my daily entries at the website.  Without my journal, I am using my daily posts to jog my memory, as I write this story.

For those of you who don't know about La Selva… I'm sorry for you.  It is a very special place.  I've always called it 'an oasis in the middle of the madness'.  No sidewalks, no streetlights… very rural.  It's a town were people stop in the middle of the street, and block traffic while they chat, and the car who's path was blocked either politely waits, or sometimes… the person gets out and joins the conversation.  I've described La Selva to people this way: 

The bad thing about La Selva is that everyone knows everyone, and most of them want to be involved in all of your personal business.  The good thing about La Selva is that everyone knows everyone, and most of them want to be involved in all of your personal business.  It's a matter of personal preference, but that type of 'closeness' works for me.

In my opinion, one of the very best things about La Selva is the view it has.  From the cliffs above the beach… you can see to infinity.  The only thing that 'gets in the way' is the coastline of the Monterey Bay, arguably one of the most scenic areas in the world.  Yes, La Selva Beach truly is… a very special place.

As 8am finally rolled around, I started tapping on Eron's bedroom door.  I had warned her that while I was in town, she should not expect to sleep 'til noon.  Yes, she's a typical teenager in that way.  Actually she's fairly typical in several other ways too.  Her social calendar for one thing.  It is always overflowing.  She's a very intelligent, beautiful girl.  I'm not saying this as a father, but as an honest impartial person.  God blessed me with three incredible daughters, and as I have also described Kellie and Ashley in similar detail in another one of my stories…

Eron is one of those people who other people follow.  She is a leader.  And she does it (usually) in a way that is not forceful at all.  As both her parents are, she is very self- confidant.  She will succeed at whatever she chooses to do with her life… there is no doubt about that.  She was raised as an only child, so I'm sure that has something to do with her comfort level when she's around adults, but she also seems to have the ability to get along with people of all ages, and in all situations.  She is intuitive and creative.  Eron is one of the most physically beautiful people on this planet, but she is even more beautiful on the inside.

At 10am, after tapping on her door every 30 minutes for the previous 2 hours, I finally opened the door, and walked to her bedside.  "Paaallleeeaase honey, let's get started with our day, we've been burning daylight for more than 4 hours already."

She has always been one of those who wakes up slowly, and if not approached carefully, might try to bite your head off, if you push her too fast at the beginning of her day.  That's why I had warned her before my arrival, and had given her two hours of tapping notice.  I was planning on spending three days with her and I did not want to start my first day with her with anything but smiles.

After my (very cute and adorable) whining-plead for her to get up, she smiled and opened her eyes.  "Ok Dad, I'll get up."  She made us the best fruit smoothie I've ever had, and then we got on Honey to run some errands.

She couldn't remember the name of the tattoo parlor she wanted to go back to, for the guy to do some touching up on the black widow spider she had inked on her left breast.  It needed a 'little more red-ish orange color' in its legs.  Yes, my little angel-of-a-daughter has a wild side too.  As a father… I worry a little, but when I am able to separate myself from the position of parent, to one of an impartial bystander… I am ok with her wild side.  I put it like this:  "In the grand scheme of things, she is at least as well adjusted and mature as I am".  Not really a glowing recommendation, I am aware, but I am very confidant in all of my daughters, that they have good heads on their shoulders, and will not do anything detrimental to their or anyone else's well being.  They haven't yet… I sure hope I'm not jinxing them by putting this in print.

As we were getting ready to walk into the tattoo parlor, I noticed what looked like the handle of a pistol sticking out from the pants of a guy walking in just ahead of us.  I stopped, turned, and whispered to Eron, "Look, that guy has a gun."  She smiled and said, "Yes dad, it's legal to carry here."  "Wow", I said,  "We really are in the wild wild west, aren't we?"  "Yes dad, and paaallleeease don't make a big deal out of it, ok?"  Then I said, "Jeesh Eron, you'd think that you have a reason to feel that I might try to embarrass you or something," with a mischievous grin on my face.  

Her eyes rolled back into her head, like I'd seen them roll so many times before.  If I had a nickel for every time I've heard her say, "Ooohh da-aaad", I would have a very big pocket full of nickels.  I feel sorry for people around me sometimes.  I have a tendency to be overly dramatic and corny on occasions.  I have even been called a Drama King once or twice.  I'm ok with being corny… as long as it puts a smile on someone's face… then I'm happy.

Sure enough (not wanting to let Eron down), I went straight up to the guy with the gun.  He was heavily tatted, about 6' 2" and a very muscular 240 pounds.  He turned out to be a very nice, well-spoken gentleman, and even though I heard Eron make a heavy sigh as I walked up to him,  it wasn't too long before she came up and introduced herself to him.  Neither of us is very shy.

The artist that she wanted to do her touch up wouldn't be in until that evening, so we left and had a burger at a malt shop in downtown Old Glendale.  It was one of (I'm guessing) 50 thousand burger joints in this Country with the 50's theme.  James Dean… Marilyn Monroe… Humphrey Bogart… you get the picture.  We sat outside on the sidewalk and she nibbled on a grilled cheese sandwich, while I ate one of the best burgers I've ever had.

Eron and I have always gotten along well.  She is definitely 'her father's daughter'.  Even though she's spent the last five years almost exclusively with her mom, she is still maintaining her open-mindedness and ability to allow other people to express their opinions without thinking that they are wrong, just because she may not agree with them.  I am so happy that she has some of my personality traits… but unhappy that she has other similar characteristics which are not quite as… pause… let's say, 'useful.'

Eron's mom is a good person, and a fantastic mom, but some of the differences we have are dramatic.  'Problem solving techniques', when it comes to dealing with the curves that life throws at us once in awhile, is a good example of one of them. 

Sometimes Eron and I go quite a while without saying anything at all to each other and sometimes we have to raise our hands, to get the other person to stop and take a breath.  We laugh together, we cry together, and most of all, we seem to understand each other at a very deep level.  I love being around her.  I love you Eron.

After lunch we went back to her house.  We'd decided to go Halloween costume shopping with some of her girlfriends.  Even after my 18-hour bike ride the day before… I didn't want to get off Honey.  It worked out great 'cuz she picked up three of her girlfriends and it woulda been a little too cozy in Sierra (the name she gave her little white Hyundai), if I had been in the car with them.

I followed them around town, critiquing Eron's driving to myself the whole time.  She reminds me of me in a lot of ways, and her driving style is one of them.  When we were stopped at one of the lights, I pulled up beside Sierra and said with a smile, "Remember sweetheart, there ARE other golfers on the golf course."  She knew what I meant, and smiled mischievously at me.  The light turned green, and she squealed off across the intersection.  I couldn't help but smile.  I hope she didn't see me.

I was in heaven.  Hanging out with my youngest daughter and her girlfriends, for     the better part of the afternoon.  We skipped all around Peoria (one of the many suburbs of the greater Phoenix metropolis) and must have gone in and out of at least four or five costume stores.

I already mentioned how physically beautiful Eron is, and as you know… birds of a feather flock together, so… yes, I must be honest… my girlfriend does worry about me sometimes… I really am a flirt.  Actually she doesn't really worry about me, as much as gets 'pissed' at me.  My dad was a flirt… and his dad was a flirt.  I try to convince her… all I'm trying to do is uphold the family tradition, but that only pisses her off more. But I know my heart is true, so I am not going to feel guilty about my harmless flirting.

My eyes may stray, but as my dad used to tell my mom… "It's like appreciating a piece of artwork, that's all."  And that's all it is for me, really and for truly.  I mentioned my barking and not biting right?  I flirt, yes, but I flirt in such a way that the recipient of my comments feel complimented… not harassed.

                                        Honey and Ned, riding next to Sierra and the girls

 So… for about four hours, I followed these gorgeous teenagers around like a puppy dog, complimenting the heck outta them, as they posed for me in a multitude of outfits, all of which for some reason, had very short skirts, shorts, and shirts.  Kids… whatta ya gonna do with 'em?

The rest of my first layover day was spent at the house with Ann.  We had some real quality time, and it was nice for both of us.  Like I said, we get along better now than we used to.  In fact, it seems the love we have for each other is at least as strong as it ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment