A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

January 10, 2010

Please Allow Me To Introduce My Selves: DAY 9- 1.2k words


DAY NINE - Saturday, November 1, 2008

We finally got out of the house around 1pm, after spending eight hours of the highest quality family time I've had in years.  Taumie and her kids are morning people too, so we got after it right away.  I was just finishing my first cup a joe, when Taumie made her appearance around 5am.

Cheri was next at around 6, and Gerry finally got his sorry ass outta bed around 8.  We laughed.  We cried.  We shared things that only family members as close as we are, would even consider talking about.  Taumie and her kids are army brats, and as such, are thought of by most of our family as… well… to be nice, let's just say… rough around the edges.

As far as I can tell, there is not a topic of conversation in the world, that they are not comfortable talking about.  I wish I had kept better notes… I can't seem to recall some of the more interesting subjects we covered.  Actually, I think it's more of a convenient memory.

I remember thinking that I should feel awkward and embarrassed talking about some of the topics.  Some VERY personal stuff that would just not translate very well into this story.  I'll let your imaginations run wild.  Don't worry Taumie… I thought about it, but decided not to describe Gerry's party trick/ acrobatic ability.

Being with this part of my family has always been a very enriching and invigorating experience for me.  It was like therapy.  I felt renewed, refreshed, and somehow cleansed.  It's difficult to explain, but I'm already looking forward to being with them again, as soon as possible.

I think the best way to put it is that these people are real.  No pretenses.  No acting.  No holding back.  They say things instinctively and totally naturally, without worrying about what it might sound like.  Life is very simple, honest, and comfortable with them.  I love it.

So at one o'clock that afternoon, Taumie, Gerry, Cheri, and Reno all got in Taumie's big double seat Ram Charger truck and led Honey and me on a tour of the area… specifically the residential subdivisions which were under construction.  We drove to about six different 'tracks', and I picked up about 20 cards, names, and/ or phone numbers of the local contractors who had projects going at the time.  I still haven't called any of them… now almost six weeks later, but I will, if nothing comes up here in Aptos in the next couple of weeks or so.

After a couple hours we split up… Taumie and her fam to go grocery shopping, and me to go find a saloon.  Gerry explained to me that Killeen County was dry, but that there were private clubs where you could buy memberships for free, and he gave me directions to one of them.  After having two pushing my lucks on the rocks, I got back on Honey and backtracked to a Honda Dealership I had passed on the way there.

Sometime back around Flagstaff, I had noticed that one of my side headlights was burned out, and I wanted to buy a replacement bulb.  While I was waiting for the parts guy to look for the bulb, I wandered around the showroom. 

The first thing that I noticed was that there weren't many bikes on display.  Most of the floor space was covered with clothing and other riding gear.  The second thing I noticed was one of the girls who worked there, checking me out.  Well, let me be honest… she was the FIRST thing I noticed.

Megan was a nice looking young gal with an easy smile.  She asked if she could help me find anything in particular, and I said, "Yeah, do you have any of these employee shirts for sale?"… as I pointed to the one she was wearing.  She said that they normally didn't sell them, but that she'd go upstairs and ask her manager.

She came down with two of them… one black and one gray, and said the manager told her that she should give me the shirts for free.  I accepted the generous offer, and told the gal to tell her manager that I was very grateful, and would wear them with pride, and that I would do as much business with his company as possible, if I ended up moving to the area.

It was about then that Joe the parts guy, came around the corner and told me he was sorry that they didn't have the bulb in stock.  I had already mentioned the adventure I was on to Megan, but I went thru it again for Joe, as my long-winded explanation of why he needn't place the order for me.

As I was about to say my good-byes to my new friends, John and Jennifer walked up.  He introduced himself as the manager, and Jennifer as his assistant.  He came up and stuck out his hand, saying something about how nice it was that one of the members of our brotherhood was out on such a grand adventure.

We talked for a little while about some of areas of the country I'd seen to date, and about the economy, and how lucky they were to be living someplace that was not as affected by the downturn as much as some other places were.  I told them I had to leave, but wanted a group photo of my new brothers and sisters in Killeen.  The four of them graciously posed for me.

My 15~20 minutes in the Honda shop in Killeen was yet another experience with the wonderful people in Texas… very friendly, and very nice.  I am sure that if I end up in the area, I will learn to like it.  I just love Texas.

                            Megan, Joe, Jennifer, and John, at the Honda shop in Killeen

The rest of the day and night was spent with Taumie et al, in their living room, laughing, crying, and sharing memories of the past, and plans for the future.  I had bought S-video cables earlier that day so we could connect their 55" HD TV to our laptops and share pictures and watch some home movies I'd brought with me on a CD that Bev had made for the whole family from old super-8 films my parents took.  Some of these movies are priceless:

My Mom & Dad when they were in their 20's; Jackie and her first husband Roger, looking like Natalie Wood & James Dean; Bev sitting, cuddling, and hugging lots of different girls; Jon's first solo flight; and a couple of Donnie and myself, dressed in matching Halloween costumes as clowns, and cowboys.  I can remember my Mom saying, "You used to be so cute… what happened?"

We ate late (around 10pm) and I didn't get to bed until around midnight, roughly four hours past my normal bedtime.  It was the best day of my trip so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment