A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

January 11, 2010

From Here To There And Back Again: DAY 5- 1.4k words





MONDAY, MAY 18th - DAY 5:

3:45am - I woke up 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off…got up, coffeed up, and skipped the hot tub.  I'd done some of my packing the night before, 'cuz I wanted to get an early start.  I was gonna be taking my time, and making a lot of stops on my ride to Seattle today.

7:15am - J & L got up early just for me, so I didn't get quite as early a start as I had planned.  Schedule?  We don't need no stinking schedule.

7:30am - Off and away, with a very warm hug from Lovely (she told me she loved me), and a strong man hug from Jacques.  He tried to lift me off my feet… pretty funny.  I responded by lifting him up with one hand, and twirling him around like a propeller over my head.  Now that you should have seen.

8:45am - Madras for gas.  Got just over 40 mpg.  For some reason, Honey seems to be more gas efficient when she's running out on the back roads, as opposed to going in a straight flat line.  It doesn't make sense to me, but I became comfortable with the fact that I was not going to understand everything in this world, a long time ago.

10:30am - Mt. Hood, elevation: 11,245'; Timberline Lodge: 6,000'.  Average year round depth of snow pack: 21'.  Skiing season: year round, except for 2 weeks in September for maintenance.

Bryan (yes another Bryan bartender… same spelling and everything) at the Ram's Head couldn't serve me 'til 11, so I took a self-guided walking tour of the building and the surrounds. This structure is incredible.  16" x 36" beams running about 30' between support posts, holding up the 8" x 16" roof rafters, which come together at the spire peak.  And a stone fireplace rising all three stories up through the middle.  And that's only a description of the central lobby-lounge-restaurant-bar area of this massive building.  The movie 'The Shining' was filmed here.  None of the pics I took turned out, sorry.  It must've been the ghosts' fault.

As I was touring the grounds I found a day lodge for the skiers.  I thought that this venue might be more interesting than the rich and snooty crowd in the Lodge, so I went in looking for some life, laughter, and girls.  I found all three.

I mean I found all five.  Lands End Clothing was doing a photo-promo shoot, and Shelly, Michelle, Colleen, Lisa, and Sharon were hanging out waiting for the light to get right.  The light was just fine for me, so I asked them if they would mind posing for me for an entry in my journal.

They were so polite, and seemed sincerely happy (dare I say it… excited) to talk with me.  Michelle, Lisa and Sharon even gave me their email addresses, so I could send them the pictures and my story.  Sometimes I feel like a real stud.  While inside, I'm really just a giggling school-boy.

After I caught my breath and settled my heart from the spectacular scenery, I went back to the Ram's Head for my celebratory cocktails.  I should mention that the view of the mountain was pretty spectacular as well.

Keith and Mo (wait staff), and Jenna, the cutest of the bunch joined Bryan for a photo op.  That pic didn't turn out either.  Darn those ghosts in the attic.

12:15pm - After jumping back on the highway and heading west, I remembered that I'd forgotten to stop at Charlie's Mountain View Beer Pub Grill… the one that Morgan had told me about back in Soquel the day I'd left.

I turned around in a town called Rhododendron (sp?) to go back up the hill, but first I had to go into the restaurant and find a victim for my journal entry.  Teri was very cooperative… tossing shit back at me as fast as I could deliver it to her.  I like women that can put up a good fight.

12:45 - I was only a back track to Government Camp of about 10 miles, and it was well worth it.  It was a fun road and Charlie's was a fun establishment.  Brent took my message from Morgan and said he'd pass it onto 'Big Jeff' the owner.  He said he remembered Morgan, and gave me a free beer and one of the best burgers I've ever had.

I also met Madison… a HUGE dog, and Kara and her daughter, who were riding her like a horse.

I also met Richard and Little John, a couple of local hippy artists.  John reminded me of Jim Morrison.  He was trying to make me believe that he had caught a 96-pound catfish in the bayous of Mississippi.  He was a character.  And Richard went on and on about all the award winning paintings he's done of Marilyn Monroe.  Good subject matter, how could a guy go wrong?

2:30pm - Next stop Gresham… just short of Portland, for a poddy break.  Why in the heck do I feel it necessary to put this entry from my journal into the story?

3:15pm - Heading northbound on I-5, the first freeway I'd been on since heading out of Sacramento on day two, I had to stop for gas.  A cute blonde in a black Beemer refused to acknowledge me as I sat next to her at the stoplight.  I couldn’t believe it… a girl who was NOT drawn to me?!?!  What is wrong with this world?!?!

4:15pm - 80 miles up the road.  Just after getting back on the freeway, and leveling off at my standard cruising speed of 80 mph, a sports bike came up on me going a bit faster.  I'd yet to be passed by another motorcycle and since he wasn't going that much faster than me… I fell in behind him and we partnered up at his standard (?) cruising speed of 92.

It was pretty fun.  It was a 3 lane freeway, and couple of times we came up on a slower moving vehicle in the middle lane… he'd stay in the fast lane, but I'd move over to the slow lane, and we'd pass the car at the same time… him on the left and me on the right.

He was wearing a full-face helmet, so I couldn't actually see his smile, but I could clearly see it in his eyes.  Motorcyclists are of a different breed.  It's hard to explain it to the uninitiated, but in 'The Brotherhood', it is a very special thing.

5:45pm - Another gas stop.  Met Jake, who was riding a 350cc dual sport, who was on his way to Bend… the same place I'd left earlier that morning.  It was starting to drizzle about this time, so we both smiled, shook hands, and off we went, never to see each other again.  Or… who knows?  I try never to say never.  Oops I said it twice.  No, I guess I said it thrice.  I bet I never do that again.  Oops, I said it again.

7:00pm - When I got to Kellie's apartment, she wasn't answering her door… nor her phone.  It was sprinkling now and I was cold, wet, tired, and my most precious and dependable daughter was standing me up.  I could not believe it.  I still can't.  She finally called me two hours later and said, "I'm home now, where are you?"   I texted her back and told her it wouldn't be a good thing for me to speak with her until tomorrow, after I'd calmed down.

8:00pm - I couldn't reach my ex-wife either but decided to show up unannounced. Fortunately she was home when I got there and very gracious.  She seemed sincerely happy to have me show up at her doorstep.  What a gal.

Day 5 - 398 miles and 1,623 for the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment