A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

May 17, 2013

"About Me and My Family"


As with all my stories, this one is primarily for me.  As I grow older than I ever dreamed I'd be, I've begun to realize that if I don't make an effort to document the important things about me… some of my thoughts… and some of the things that I believe are important about me, that there is a very good chance that after the people that have had the opportunity to get to know me are gone, so will I be.

I am the third generation in my family to be a residential general contractor.  I have done nothing else in my life as a source of income.  I always wished I could figure out how to make money off my charm and good looks, but alas… my innate sincerity has always kept me from being able to take advantage of people.  As with the empathetic abilities I got from mother, I call it a blessing and a curse.  I have always been very grateful of my parents for instilling a foundation of respect in me.  I don't always make it obvious, but I really do care about people.

When I was a child, I decided I wanted to be different from everyone else.  Something inside me told me that I was special.  Most likely it was (and still is) my ego fighting back my human insecurities and self-doubts.  Whatever the reason, it is my wish to be remembered.  Mostly the good parts of me, but I also want to be remembered for all the different aspects of my personality.  The good, the bad, and the ugly, as they say.
 
This story is written basically as a first draft, and as such, there will be rambling sentences, bad grammar, way too many commas, quotation marks, parenthesis, and past-present-future tenses all jumbled together, into the same paragraph, and sometimes even in the same sentence.  I write as I speak… open mouth, insert foot.  Usually I don't know what I'm gonna say, until after I hear myself say it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As I walked into the McDonald's next to the gas station, I was greeted by someone who I thought had long ago died.   It was a life-sized Elvis statue, right in the middle of the dining area.  Pretty funny.  We had a nice conversation, mostly about the dramatic decline in the character of a lot of the recent music stars of the day… Britney Spears was one of the names he brought up.  I decided to cut him some slack, and not remind him that his own past wasn't completely untarnished.

Yes, I was having a conversation with a statue.  My mind never stops turning, and I have found that if I try to silence my thoughts, they only get louder.  Besides, I was gonna be alone for the better part of the next two weeks, and I decided it would not be a bad thing for me to get to know my selves a little better along the way.  That reminds me, I haven't really explained the title of this story yet.

I have always had conversations with myself.  Ever since I was a child, I felt there were several distinctly different personalities inside me.  I've never worried about it… in fact, I've been grateful and nurturing towards them.  Most of them don't seem to fit into the mainstream of the world I live in, so I've learned to try to limit the 'off the wall' things that come across my mind.  I've always said… "Even when I'm alone, I have someone to talk to," or… "I talk to myself because no one else listens to me."  In any case, the people who know me can attest to how many different Neds there are.  Most of the Neds are pretty good guys, so my real friends are tolerant of the ones who aren't quite as nice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the time I went thru Snowflake (north eastern Arizona)… got to Show Low… and turned east on Hwy 60, it was about 11am and I had dropped about 3,000 feet in elevation.  My body had finally thawed, but when I got off the bike for my stretch and cigarette, I noticed how warm it really was.  It must've been close to 80 degrees!  At least it felt that way after being frozen to the bone for the first couple hours that morning.

I went into the MMGS (that stands for mini mart gas station, remember that, you'll see it again… and again) to use their restroom to change my clothes.  It was about the size of a closet… a very small closet.  Not nearly enough leg and elbow-room for me to remove all the layers I needed to take off, to get to my long underwear.  There was no choice… I was gonna hafta to do a strip tease outside in the parking lot.

Fortunately, as I have said and as you are likely beginning to understand… I am not shy.  I causally and as nonchalantly as possible… removed every single piece of clothing from my body except my underwear, cotton socks, and sunglasses.  It felt great.  I guess I have to admit that I'm a little on the other side of not shy.

Two of the phrases I use to describe me are;  'look at me, look at me,' and;  'I like to hide in plain sight.'  The only bad thing about exposing myself in public was that I didn't see one person notice me while I was doing it.  Rats.  All that time working out in the gym was going for naught.

I thought about having another cigarette and loitering there for a while, but thought better of it.  It would be perfectly acceptable behavior in Santa Cruz… the surfers do it all the time… but I wasn't sure what the proper protocol was, here in the middle of the high desert in eastern Arizona, and it would've put me behind schedule if I had been detained or perhaps arrested.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was excited to get back on the open road with Honey, but sad to be leaving the emotional warmth, comfort, and security I feel with Taumie and her Fam.  Sometimes I get sad because I'm not very close to my two brothers that live in the same town as me, but when I'm with Taumie (or my sister Jackie) and their families, I feel happy that at least I have that feeling of true love, understanding, and total acceptance, which is to me… what family is supposed to be all about.

Don't get me wrong, Bev, Don, and I totally love each other, it's just that neither of them is able to outwardly express it the way I need it to be expressed.  It's like food or water for me… nourishment for my soul.  I'm kinda 'weak' like that I guess.  I know I shouldn't be dependent on anyone else to make me feel worthy.  And it's not really like that… I'm having trouble expressing my feelings here…

Let me try to explain it this way:  Out of respect, I won't go into any details, but I can tell you that about 20 years ago, Donnie (my twin) was deeply injured, emotionally.  Ever since then he has closed off a part of himself.  Although I have noticed a change in the last few years, not coincidentally I'm sure… about the same time as he purchased his motorcycle… he has been more outwardly expressive with his feelings.

My older brother Bev is also the type who 'holds his cards tightly to his chest.'  I don't know if he was injured as well, but neither of them wears their heart where I do… on my sleeve.  Both of them have told me that they… and these are MY words, NOT theirs… both of them feel like they'd lose control if they allowed themselves to become outwardly emotional.  Whereas I, on the other hand, feel like I would explode if I didn't.  I know we love each other very deeply and truly, it's just that I get more of the emotion that I need from our sister's side of my family.

I'm sure it's the Mars - Venus thing… I've always said that I've felt more in touch with my feminine side than a lot of girls I know.  I am emotional.  I laugh loudly and fully, and I cry deeply and sincerely.  I inherited an empathetic aspect to my personality from my Mom… sometimes I can literally FEEL other peoples' feelings.  I call it a blessing and a curse.  In any case, there is a kind of absolute fulfillment that I get from being around my sister and her families that I do not get from my brothers.

That's still not an accurate description of what I'm trying to say, but if I'm gonna finish this story, I’m gonna hafta move on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment