A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

May 17, 2013

"West Texas Winds ~ Math ~ Refueling Luck"


Honey and I had been in strong winds before, but these were different.  I had guessed that they were gusting at about 25 to 35mph, but found out later, from a local, that they were blowin' at 40~60.  That, in and of itself, isn't that bad, but the thing was that they were gusting from 0mph, and coming at me at exactly a right angle to the direction of my travel.  It would be totally calm one second and then WHAMMO!!  They would hit me like a mac truck, and I'd be headed for the gravel on the right side of the road.

They'd gust for two or three seconds and then instantly stop.  When the wind was hitting me, Honey had to lean way over on her left side, to stay in a straight line.  Then POOF!!  No wind and we'd be heading into the oncoming lane.  It was truly a test of my strength… reaction time… and riding ability, to keep Honey on the road.  I decided to make it a test.  Instead of getting upset, or feeling sorry for myself, I said, "Ok Ned… let's see what you got."  Turned out, I had the right stuff, but boy oh boy… it certainly was a test.

Besides the wind, the day also took a little out of me when I ran out of gas, coming into Iraan.  This time it wasn't my fault.  When I had tanked up at the previous available gas station… it was only about 125 miles to Iraan, which under normal conditions is well within Honey's range.  4.7 gallons @ 40mpg = 188 miles.  I'd gone 190 between her meals many times in the past.  Several times over 200.  I can normally gauge how many miles we have left, by doing some quick math, when I turn the valve to her reserve stomach.

Even though the wind was not a head wind, it was obviously taking its toll on Honey's food consumption.  When her main tummy emptied and I turned the valve, we'd only gone about 90 miles, which calc'd out at about 25mpg!
                                                   
After I did the math, I did it again.  25 times 3.7… that's 3 times 25 is 75, plus .7 times 25 is 14 plus 3½, gives me a total of 75 plus 17½ comes to 92½.  I looked down again, and sure enough, my odometer showed 91 miles.  Honey was only getting 25mpg, and with only one gallon left and 35 miles to the next town… we had about 10 miles of trouble in front of us.

Fortunately the highway had dropped down from the high open plateau, and was going down thru a huge canyon, which was protecting us from most of the wind, so I leaned forward and settled my chest down against Honey's tummy to lessen the wind resistance, making Honey and me slightly more streamlined, as to (hopefully) increase the mileage we were getting.  I was lucky… if we were still in the open, the wind gusts would've made it unsafe or impossible for me to assume this type of position.  I even pulled in the clutch lever and coasted down the hills.

My efforts came within 1.2 miles of succeeding.  Honey ran dry, and I coasted to the side of the road with the town of Iraan, and Honey's next meal, within sight.  Rats… I knew I wasn't gonna leave my girl alone and walk to the town, and there was no way I should expect to get as lucky as I did back in Santa Anna, and only lose 45 minutes.  I was bummed.
 
I was as tired as I'd been at any point on my trip (to that point), and my back and shoulders were almost numb from the constant pushing and pulling on Honey's reigns, keeping her on-line in the wind for the last six hours.  I dismounted Honey with my head held low, expecting to be there for hours.  It was around 2pm, and I'd only seen two cars in the last 50 miles or so.

I was wrong.  I saw Butch's vehicle coming from the distance on a dirt side road.  First as a cloud of dust, then as it followed his(?) driveway towards me, as a large pickup truck with a brown-skinned man in his 60's behind the wheel.  He drove right up to me and rolled down his window.  I had pulled off the road at the entrance to what was most likely the access road to his home, or perhaps his place of work.

What were the odds that Honey would run dry at someone's driveway?  What were the odds of someone coming down that driveway within about two minutes of me parking there?  With this kind of luck, I had no doubt that he had a can of gasoline waiting for me in the back of the truck.  I was half right.  He did have a can, but it was empty.

He offered to take me the short distance into town and return me to Honey with some gas, and this time I decided to take the chance of leaving my precious woman on the side of the lonely highway alone.  I figured that if anyone happened to come along in the time we were gonna be gone, my luck was so good that they would probably know Butch and wouldn't think about stealing from one of his guests… or perhaps even wait there and guard the gal until we returned.

Butch was a Native of the area (I didn't write it down, and I've forgotten which Tribe he descended from), so he declined my request to take a picture of him along with a part of his soul.  And just like Ron (the other gentleman who helped me refuel in Santa Anna), he refused any reward or re-payment for the gas he used, or the time he spent.  God, I love Texas.

Janet and Lisa at the MMGS were sweethearts, and when I got back on Honey to continue my journey, I shook my head in disbelief.  It hadn't taken 45 minutes like the first time… this time I only lost 15 minutes… absolutely incredible.  Sometimes I'm embarrassed about how freaking lucky I am.  Clearly, I must have done something really good in a previous life.  I sure don't remember saving anyone's life, or anything like that in this life.  But perhaps I've done enough little stuff in this life, to warrant a small gesture of thanks from the gods.  In any case, I do NOT take these acts of good fortune lightly.  I always remember to say my prayer of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment