A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

May 17, 2013

"Jack & Celia (my Mom & Dad)"


… I need to say something about my mom.  Shortly after she died, I had a waking dream about her:

She was standing in line at Saint Peter's Gates, waiting to be 'interviewed' for acceptance into Heaven, and after patiently waiting for only a few minutes, two angels came up from around her side… took her by her arms… and said, "Hello Celia, welcome to Heaven.  You don't have to go thru the interview process, you're already pre-approved… in fact we've been waiting for you, and we have your place already prepared for you."

My Mom kinda pulled back a little, and said, "Wait a minute, I'm not special, I should have to go through the normal process like everyone else."  The angels simply smiled a loving smile at her, and said, "Celia, you ARE special, now please come with us, it's ok."

Mom let out a sigh of resolution, and allowed the angels to take her into Heaven thru a side entrance.  When the three of them approached the place that had been prepared for her, Mom stopped dead in her tracks (sorry, I couldn't resist making a pun).  She couldn't believe what she saw.  It was a throne… HER throne.

As Mom's eyes welled in disbelief, the angels told her that it was her turn to take the seat next to God.  Her predecessor had reached the end of her reign, and had been waiting for Mom to take her place.
Not only did my mother not have to go thru the qualifying process to get into Heaven, she had instantly been given the rank of  'Queen Of All Angels.'

For those of you lucky enough to have met Celia Moreno Opdyke, you won't have any problem accepting my waking dream as a distinct probability.  For those unfortunates of you reading this, who didn't have the opportunity to meet her, you will simply have to take our word for it.  My mother truly was, one of the most enlightened human beings ever placed on this planet called Earth.  Yes, she was indeed a very special person.
                                                      
Celia Moreno Opdyke - July 7, 1919 ~ June 5, 2002


Now, in fairness… something about my Dad:

Jasper Jackson (Jack) Opdyke was the middle of three children, and was born in 1915 in Trail, Oregon… a small cow town on the Rouge River in the southwestern part of the State.   My sister Jackie has a different version of our family tree, but I like mine better.  I'm pretty sure hers is the correct one, because I heard mine from my dad, and he was a self-admitted embellisher of stories.

My Dad's version goes like this.  His grandfather… who was born in Holland, had 13 children with the same woman, and then at the age of 50, decided to leave them all and sail to America.  When he got here, he settled in Trail… married a 13-year old girl, and had 13 more children, one of which was Paul, my grandfather.  The 'story' ends with my great grandfather finally dying at the age of 96, when he fell off the horse he was riding and hit his head on a rock.  I added my own epilogue… I say that my great grandfather's wife cried huge tears when he died, because she was so happy she didn't have to have any more children.

When my Dad died, the waking dream I had of his arrival at Heaven's Gates goes like this:

 As he was waiting in line for his interview, he couldn't help but notice that the gates were sagging just a little bit.  It's no wonder he thought to himself… they were after all, very… very old.  Fortunately he had brought some of his hand tools, and a small amount of misc. materials with him, so instead of waiting in line, and without asking anyone for permission, he boldly went up and adjusted and repaired the gates so they were in a condition as good as new.  Pretty funny huh?  Dad wasn't quite as enlightened as my Mom, but he was certainly in the front row of his graduating class.

                                             
Jasper Jackson (Jack) Opdyke - September 21, 1915 ~ August 22, 2004


And now something about both of them:

When my Dad was 24, he packed a bag and got in his car with one of his best buddies.  His best man actually, for his upcoming wedding to a gal named Claira Burda.  He had decided to make his bachelor's party a 'road trip' (I wonder if that's why I like road trips so much?).  They headed south from Sacramento, and didn't stop until they got to Hermosillo, Mexico.  When Dad placed a call to his fiancé, the long distance operator who made the connection was a gal named Celia Moreno.

Back in those days (circa 1938), it was quite a process… as it took a series of connections, made manually from operator to operator, to get the line 'tied together' all that way.  While my dad and 'this gal' where on the line waiting, as each operator made the next connection, they struck up a conversation.  My Dad didn't speak a word of Spanish, but Celia was fluent in English, one of the reasons she was working as a long-distance operator.

Well, according to my parents, they both became infatuated with each other's voices.  Before the final connection was made, they had a made a date to meet later that evening.  There was a big town party, and although my Dad didn't know it at the time, she had just been crowned the Queen of the City as part of the celebration.

When my Mom came up to my Dad on the street corner where they had arranged to meet, my Dad didn't recognize her.  She was dressed in full regalia, head to foot, including a full mask covering her face.  My mom says she didn’t have any problem recognizing this man as her date for the evening.  Probably by his skin color… I don't imagine there were many gringos walking around that night, but let's pretend it was her intuition, ok? 

Anyway, as soon as my Mom said hello to my Dad, he says he recognized her from what he always called the 'most beautiful voice in the world.'  The love story continues with them spending the entire night together, into the wee hours of the morning, talking and talking… my Mom never taking off her headdress.

When they parted company, they had arranged for my Dad to meet her the following morning at her home, so that he could ask her father for permission to marry her.  He hadn't even seen her face yet, and he was ready to dump Ms. Burda, back in Sacramento, and marry this girl he had only met a few hours ago… over the phone!

My Mom's Father (Marciel) was a poet, and he approved the union.  Amazing.  My Dad drove back to Sacramento and told his fiancé about what happened, and she graciously forgave him, and wished him the best of luck with his impulsive (to say the least!) decision.  She was probably grateful to be released from a life long bond with a man who was quite obviously totally insane.

Two weeks later after flying back to Hermosillo, my Dad was nudged by my Mom at the altar, when it was time for him to say, "Si."  He took her back to Sacramento with him, and 63 years later, my Mom died peacefully in their home in Aptos, living what I believe is the Fairy Tale of All Time.  No wonder I'm so difficult to please… I was raised in a totally unrealistic world of rainbows, butterflies, lollipops, and 'true love at first sound' (just like I felt the first time I heard Honey's voice).

No comments:

Post a Comment