A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

HERE ARE MY STORIES

May 17, 2013

"Tom Roberts; the Idiot Savant~Rocket Scientist"


Back to the story (leaving Springerville and being excited about the distance to the next gas station vs. the amount of fuel Honey had in her tank):

With only about 12 miles left before Honey ran dry, I came to Quemado, yet another town consisting of a saloon and a MMGS.  I remember laughing at myself for the way I felt when I pulled up to the gas pump.  That phrase, 'simple things for simple people' certainly applied.  I was feeling a nose raising, chest pounding, arms up in the air, machismo driven pride… that I had won the gamble I took.  Pretty silly.

After I filled Honey to the brim, and noted that she had swallowed 4.569 (out of a maximum of 4.7) gallons of go-go juice, I knew exactly how many miles per gallon she was getting, which is the only way to keep track of how much juice she has in her tummy at any given time.  There is not a gauge on this style of bike, only a 'reserve' valve to turn when the tank gets down to (about) one gallon remaining.

I call myself an idiot savant.  For several reasons, one of which is my ability to remember obscure and unimportant numbers (as well as important ones too, most of the time).  That's how I can honestly tell you how much fuel it took to fill Honey's tank.  The truth is, the complete version of one of many phrases I use to describe myself is, 'I am an idiot savant'… 'heavy on the idiot.'  I have no idea in the world why I would remember that number (4.569), other than that I am an idiot.

One of my other useless 'savant' abilities is to somehow know what musical note I am hearing.  I can't do it all the time, especially when I'm trying to show off.  But sometimes, when I hear a train whistle in the distance, or a wind chime… something like that… I 'feel' the tone in my body, and can put the correct corresponding designation on it.  I remember the first time I realized I had this ability.  It was in the garage of Tom Roberts' house, the rocket scientist who purchased my grandfather's home in        La Selva Beach.

My grandfather moved to La Selva in 1936 and built his home at the end of Playa Blvd, the 'main drag' in town, just above the road that leads down thru the private gate to the beach.  I remember my Dad telling me 'Papa' (as he was called by everyone) bought 50 of the empty home sites in town for $50 each.  I don’t know if Dad embellished this story or not, but even if it was ten times that much, it's still pretty amazing, because I can honestly tell you that there are very few empty lots remaining in LSB, and that a fair market value even after the recent 'crash', is (was) around $250,000 (in 2005; 8 years ago).
  
At the $50 price in 1935, that's an increase of five thousand percent in 70 years, or just over 70% per year.  I actually owned the last home Papa built before he died, directly next door to his.  My heart still aches when I think about having to sell it, when Ann and I divorced.  I reconcile myself by remembering that I sacrificed the house to maintain my sanity (no offense Ann).

When I call Tom a rocket scientist I am not using the term only in a descriptive way.  He literally was a rocket scientist for many years.  He helped design the guidance systems for many of the rockets built and used by the US Government.  Tom is the perfect example of the phrase, 'there's a fine line between genius and insanity.'

I use that phrase for myself sometimes, but it fits Tom much more accurately.  He's a handyman now, and I've been told his projects take an inordinate amount of time, but that when he's done, the tolerance and the quality of his workmanship is that of a Swiss watch… or perhaps a Patriot Missile.  Tom and I get along great, so I'm sure he'll take my description of him in a good-natured way.  He's kind of an idiot savant too, but not as heavy on the idiot as my self.

Anyway (boy, I really do bounce around a lot, huh), back in Tom's garage… I remember walking past it one day, and hearing some strange noises coming out of it.  I walked up and saw his son Andy holding his guitar and picking single notes on it, as Tom was 'picking' a metal strap holding up one of the garage door tracks, or a pipe of some sort, I don't recall which.

I asked them what (in the hell) they were doing, and Tom said they were trying to figure out what note the strap was making.  I remember not asking them why they were trying to figure it out, and I remember why I didn't ask.  I didn't want to know.
 
And all of you reading this nonsense are glad right now, aren't you?  At least you were warned at the beginning of this story that my bike ride was only gonna be a starting point to this story… mostly… 'it's all about me.'  It's my story, and I can write about anything I want to.

Before either of them said anything about what note they were 'zeroing in on,' I blurted out as a joke, "That's an F sharp."  Andy dropped his guitar to his side and let his jaw drop.  Tom looked confused (which is a typical expression for him).  Then Andy says, "That is exactly correct."

At the time, I shrugged it off as sheer luck, but there have been several other occasions when I have been able to do the same thing.  Like I said, only when I'm not trying to show off.  Doggone it anyway, why can't I figure out how to make it work for money?

I'm gonna give Tom a copy of this story, so let me just (finally?) finish this thought with a truthful statement about him.  Tom is one of the nicest, most generous, friendly, helpful, etc. people I've ever known.  I think very highly of him, and almost all of what I've said about him on this page is only meant as a 'good natured jab.'

Tom, I hope you're smiling.  If not, you're welcome to put something about me in the 'Beachcomber' or the 'Sentinel' or something like that.  I'm sure you won't have to try too hard to come up with something embarrassing to say about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment